Rehabilitation Instructional Services
Service goal: To work with individuals with severe disabilities to achieve increased independence through the provision of individually planned rehabilitation services. These services may be provided in either an individual or a group setting.
Orientation and Adjustment to Disability Services
- Addressing various aspects of the client's disability and the impact of the disability on independent living and work
- Development of adequate social functioning in clients who are experiencing personal and interpersonal problems, whether pertaining to temporary situational stress or a disabling condition
- Assistance in developing self-help skills through the client's own self-directed adjustment to and acceptance of their disability(ies), increase self-confidence, increased independence and independent problem solving, etc.
- Instruction in personal habits, responsibility, and decision making
- Referral to and instruction in using of disability-related services available in the community (for example, Arizona Long Term Care, Arizona Health Care Containment Cost System, Arizona Department of Behavioral Health Services, etc.)
Orientation and Mobility Training Services
- Safe transfer and travel/navigation techniques
- Instruction in how to follow directions to reach a specific location
- Communication skills and strategies for contact with the public
- Use of the telephone for information and emergency procedures
Independent Living Skills Development Services
- Personal appearance, hygiene, and grooming
- Learning to organize and dress for school or work
- Personal safety
- Personal management of medications
- Use of simple (low-technology) adaptive aids and devices
- Appropriate use of personal care attendants
- Financial planning, money management, and budgeting, etc.
- Meal planning and nutrition, etc.
NOTE: These services are not intended to serve the following clients:
RSA clients who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, visually impaired, or those who have combined vision and hearing loss are served under a separate RSA contract.
NOTE: These services are not intended to:
- Provide job development and placement assistance
- Assess the client's vocational skills or conduct a situational assessment
- Teach specific vocational skills
- Provide therapeutic or other counseling intervention to address significant behavioral or psychological issues.